Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Swine Flu

Mommy here. I have been super stressed about swine flu recently. It seems as though news about the increasing swine-related death rate is everywhere and everything I read and see reiterates the fact that pregnant women and young children are most at risk. My ob tells me that I will be at the top of the list to receive the vaccine as soon as it becomes available but no one really knows when that will be. Chris and I are growing increasingly frustrated with our pediatrician's office over their lack of knowledge or patience when it comes to informing parents about the vaccine and its availability. Because we are expecting twins and Jack will be around them all the time, he should also be at the top of the list to receive it too. We've all had our seasonal flu vaccine but its the H1N1 vaccine that we really need! Now we just sit and wait and hope it becomes available soon. In the meantime, we diligently wash our hands and use hand sanitizer.

Well....that didn't work. On Tuesday morning Jack woke up with a high fever and cough. We called the doctor and were able to get him in by early afternoon. By then he had developed chills, fatigue and upset stomach. He tested negative for flu and strep but the doctor said that a large number of H1N1 tests come back negative when they are really positive and he showed many signs of the flu. Therefore, she put him on Tamiflu. UGH! She also told me to call my ob to see if I needed to be treated proactively. Oh, and she also told me that the most common side effect of Tamiflu is nausea and vomiting. FANTASTIC!

Jack looked and acted pretty pathetic all day and I hated that he felt so miserable. He hadn't eaten much all day and by dinner time we really need to try to get some food in his stomach before starting the Tamiflu. Jack managed eat half of a peanut butter and jelly before we gave him the medicine. Within 10 minutes of taking it, he started crying and saying that his tummy hurt. As I picked him up to take him into the bathroom, he puked all down my back! The poor little guy was so miserable :(

We got him ready for bed and I rocked him for a while. As I laid him in his bed and sang to him he started crying and as I walked into the bathroom, he puked all over me AGAIN! Twice in 3o minutes!! It was so difficult to see him so sick and not really be able to make him feel better. Needless to say, I was in tears by the time I got him to sleep!

Today he seemed to feel much better and the medicine didn't make him sick. However, he still has a fever so we will be staying home again tomorrow. Fortunately, I am not feeling ill so let's hope it stays that way.

We will still be getting the vaccine as soon as it becomes available, by the way!

1 comments:

Andria said...

Poor Jack! It is pretty nerve-wracking when they are sick! I totally understand your concern, being pregnant and all! Hopefully (I guess?) Jack did have swine flu and is immune to it now.